I couldn’t find an quick and easy “pulled pork” jackfruit recipe online, so I made my own! I want to try this next in my slow-cooker for Shabbat… Is that “Kosher”?
Kosher, Vegan and can be made gluten-free
I wanted the cheapest vegan pulled pork in as few steps as possible. This is also a 1-pot recipe, so all you will need is a cutting board, knife, a sauce pan, spatula, and something to break apart the jackfruit.
The only things in here are jackfruit, onion, oil, spices and vegetable broth. If you’re in a pinch, water will do. That makes this less than 5 ingredients!
All this food from the clearance bins was less than $6:
-$1.67 for jackfruit
-$1.99 for 2 heads of iceberg lettuce (of which I only needed 1/2 of 1)
-$1.49 for the buns (regular $2.99) In actuality those buns were in my freezer from last week, but I added its cost for posterity.
The onion, leftover broth, and spices I already had at home, so you can round the total up to $6 if you like. I shop at dinner hour during the week, which is the best time to find half-off fruits, veggies and bread. The stuff that gets thrown away at the end of the night is sometimes even more than 50% (like the iceberg lettuce I got).
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of oil with spices and cook until brown (about 5 minutes)
- Add jackfruit and fill the pan with broth until the jackfruit is mostly submerged.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer until the jackfruit is soft (for 10-15 minutes).
- Once the jackfruit is soft, add the barbecue sauce and cook until hot.
- Put on a bun (or gluten-free alternative), top it with some crunchy lettuce and it’s ready to serve!
These with a side of coleslaw or potato salad, I see this being my favourite summer comfort food. This was my first attempt, so I’m looking forward to trying it again.
Next time I would like to make my own barbecue sauce, but I was being really lazy… If you tried making this yourself, let me know what you loved or may have done differently in the comments below!