Makes 6-8 servings
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
– 2 cups of Short grain brown rice
– 1 box of vegetable broth
– 1 can of crushed tomatoes
– 1 can of black beans
– 1/2 a can of black olives (diced)
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 2 bell peppers (diced)
– 1/2 a large yellow onion (sliced)
– 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
– 3 dried bay leaves
– 5 sprigs of tyme
I wish I had added some finelt chopped serano peppers to this to give it a more authentic flavour, I just didn’t have any on-hand.
I “salted” and “peppered” at every step.
1. In a large sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and fry your FRESH ingredients.
2. Immediately add HALF of your SPICES and stir to evenly coat everything.
3. Let it fry for 4 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
4. Add the black beans and black olives and fry for another 3 minutes.
5. Using a sieve, rinse the rice under cold water for 3 minutes. Continuously stir the rice until the water runs clear.
6. Combine the rice in the pot and fry it for 5 minutes or until it is crisp, stirring every 60 seconds.
7. Add the remaining INGREDIENTS and SPICES and combine.
8. Heat to a boil and then let it simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked. Stir occasionally, making sure nothing sticks to the bottom.
Serve with some warm corn bread (or just corn on the cob) and indulge in comfort!